The outbreak of Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) may be stressful for people. Fear and anxiety about a disease can be overwhelming and can cause strong emotions, hence mental health and well being should not be taken for granted. The National Alliance on Mental Illness is hosting a free virtual walk event. NAMIWALKS Everywhere, starting at 9 a.m. on June 20 and ending June 21 at 9 p.m.
What participants are doing on June 20 – 21:
- Walking 3,500 steps for a 5K their way
- Planning a craft day with their kids
- Holding a virtual bake-off with their team
- Practicing self-care with a favorite hobby: yoga, gardening, knitting
- Doing a 5K on the treadmill or stationary bike
- Hosting a virtual paint and sip party
NAMI Greenville is encouraging walkers to help raise funds to support free local mental health programs and services. Furthermore, the organization is asking participants to share their chosen activity on social media and follow the NAMIWalks Upstate’s program on Facebook and Instagram. Prizes will be awarded for creative costumes, walk routes, and fundraising efforts.