Greenville County Schools’ first registration window for students who plan to attend kindergarten or first grade next year has begun.
The registration period will run from December 6 until December 10. Parents are strongly encouraged to enroll their children during this time period so that school administrators can determine how many teachers will be needed on the first day of school.
GCS has also collaborated with FirstSteps to give out complimentary Ice on Main tickets to encourage more families to register early. Each elementary school will be given four tickets to Ice on Main to distribute to two families who will be chosen at random (2 tickets for a K5 student who registered Dec. 6-10 and 2 tickets for a randomly drawn first-grade student who registered Dec. 6-10.)
Unless a parent or legal guardian files a waiver, children who will be five years old on or before September 1, 2022, must enroll in a public or private kindergarten, and any child who will be six years old on or before September 1, 2022, must enroll in first grade.
Parents should also be reminded that students presently enrolled in a GCS 4K or 5K program are not required to register and are not eligible to win free Ice on Main tickets.
Parents can enroll their children in one of two methods. They can create a Backpack account by going to the Parent portion of this website. The Student Enrollment Form and Home Language Survey Form are also accessible at each school for families who do not have access to the internet. And when visiting the school, parents are encouraged to bring all the required documents.
For online or in-person registration, the following documents are required:
- Photo ID from any state or country
- Two current “proof of residency” documents (all must contain property address). These can be a combination of:
- Current bills – i.e. electric, gas, water, cable
- Current mortgage statement or current signed lease agreement with landlord’s name and phone number
- Child’s Birth Certificate
- Signed Certificate of Immunization, Conditional Certificate of Immunization, or Religious Exemption Certificate (Religious Exemption Certificate provided by Health Department)
Call INFOLine at 355-3100 or go to the GCS website’s Find Your School section to find out where your child can attend kindergarten or first grade.